Thursday, September 07, 2006

Understanding the Psyche of this interesting place

The Middle Eastern region is by far different to the mannerisms and behaviour to the rest of the world which I and most of my blog readers are used to. The punctuality and etiquette of Europe and the political correctness and fake friendliness of the US cannot compare to the impatient, stress, cheek and behaviour of those in the region in which I live. Let me narrow it down to more of Israel than the region, although there are similar characteristics throughout the region, although I am more familiar with the ones just here.

The question is why are people acting like this? what does it come down to? what are the factors that make people behave like this? Is it rude in our eyes or just honest and confrontational? Are people here just telling it how it is being frank and upfront?

There is a definite attitude here of living life, to the fullest, as if it is your last. Coffee shops are always packed late at night, bars are full (I am always wondering when I am in a full bar at 2 in the morning what these people do the next day, do they just get up and go to work, work later hours? how do they function like this?), the smoking culture is plentiful, being in debt is the right way to financially plan and holidays are plentiful with lots of overseas travel.

Two things I guess first come to mind when looking at this behaviour on a simple level:

The situation of Israel, the stresses under security threat, terror, wars, cold relations with its neighbours.Surely a more founded education or focus on certain things could improve the situation. Smoking education around the world and restriction have made an impact. The school of thought is place a law and Israelis will still do what they want, eg smoking in malls etc...
Now the example which inspired this piece, came the other day I was driving (yes I bought a car, special blog post on this to follow shortly) back to my apartment and needed to look for a parking space. Now, anyone who has been to Tel Aviv knows that a parking space marked by blue and white paint on the sidewalk is a goldmine in this over-car populated city, so luck had it I saw something five minutes into looking for a parking, I drove a bit too far and then reversed to make a right turn to get into the side street, I made the right turn with car behind me but I came up a bit short and needed to reverse to complete the turn into the road with the parking, as I did this the car behind me took the inside gap and got in front of me and proceeded to take the parking. I hooted stopped him from getting in, and did the window pulldown to shout a few words at each other. He seemed pretty angry and my shouting, swearing and pressurised Hebrew could not match his, at the end his car was half in the pakring and what was I going to do to get his car out. Answer: nothing. so what are the rule? I saw this parking first, I was trying to turn, he got in before me, he was more agressive and fuming than me while I thought I was in the right, and hence I left it and it took me anouther 45 minutes to find a spot. Moral of a story: Make sure of your turns and dont fall short otherwise someone will slip in front of you and take the opportunity. A good typical story to sum up attitudes over here.

But hey whats wrong with a live life to the fullest attitude, it has its advantages, you appreciate things, enjoy your time and surroundings, make sure you only go to the best places, eat the best humus, take the best holidays and always screw somebody over to benefit yourself!

This post must arise some thoughts and opinions I would like to hear your analysis in the comment section.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a lot is wrong with this attitude and i must say im tired of everyone blaming the stressful situation and uncertainty of life to explain the behaviour israelis have become famous for. when i just got here i would talk with a friend (american from jersey) about how wonderful israeli honesty is, coming from such politically correct countries the truth feels like a cool wind on a warm day. we were happy to be here and not in the land of the have a nice dayers. years passed, israelis yelled, old women in busses complained and we met again. and so she said: i can be in israel and have any random person tell me how fat i am, how im leading my life in the wrong direction, and how much i made a mistake by leaving the u.s., or i can have someone say have a nice day. i take the have a nice fucking day. she left israel shortly after.